I noticed something interesting about my four year-old grandson. When I am talking to my daughter on our iPhones (they live ten hours away), he will always say in the background, “I want to Facetime pa.”
He has never lived in a time without Facetime. In his mind it doesn’t make sense to just “talk” to someone when you can see the person too. I guess my parents went through the paradigm shift with the invention of the television. Why would one just listen to the radio when they could see the action too? This then became, why watch in black and white when you can see it in “living color?”
Culture changes. Technology changes. Retail changes. People must change.
Today, success in retail demands a shift from an employee culture to an entrepreneur culture. Over the past year, I have been assessing the behaviors of North America’s top performers. None of them viewed themselves as employees of the store even though they were loyal to the organization. They viewed themselves as the CEO of their own small business. In their minds, the store owner had hired their one-person “small business” to come in and sell jewelry.
They see themselves as entrepreneurs. At Exsellerate, we call them “Gempreneurs.” What is the difference between an employee and an entrepreneur? At a high level if understanding employees tend to be more reactive and entrepreneurs are pro-active.
It is for this reason that Exsellerate has shifted our focus to hiring entrepreneurs and transforming existing employees into entrepreneurs.
Here are the top ten competencies of today’s retail jewelry gempreneurs as discovered in Exsellerate’s research.
1. Gempreneurs take responsibility for their own success: They are self-disciplined, driven and determined to succeed. They don’t blame outside influences on business downturns
2. Gempreneurs hate to lose: They will put in the extra time, energy and effort to achieve their objectives. They invest time and resources into their success.
3. Gempreneurs are Goal Oriented: They set their own goals that are always higher than expected. They focus on high pay-off activities
4. Gempreneurs are self-starters who never need to be prodded: They possess boundless amounts of energy and need no external motivation to excite tem to action.
5. Gempreneurs understand the power of relationships: They are customer focused and expert at networking
6. Gempreneurs are great at Self-Marketing:They embrace today’s social media and emerging technology to self-brand themselves.
7. Gempreneurs are great decision-makers: They are bottom-line focused and can clearly envision how to achieve their objectives.
8. Gempreneurs are flexible adjusting their strategies to win: They never see adversity as a problem but as a challenge to be won. They are willing to adjust their approaches in order to win.
9. Gempreneurs are natural born sales people: They are influential and persuasive.
10. Gempreneurs are resilient: They quickly bounce back from adversity with a renewed energy.